In the cellar: the barrels choice


Visiting the Mazzei cellar you get impressed not only by the almost sacred atmosphere of a large silent big room, illuminated by soft lights where you can only hear the sound of water falling down from the rocky walls, but also, and perhaps above all, by the quantity of barrique and tonneux that fill the room and pervade it with an unmistakable scent. Today there are about 2500 barrels in the Mazzei cellar, barrique and tonneux, coming from different tonnelleries. About 70% is French oak, the remaining 30% is divided between American and Hungarian oak.

Click to enlarge

But how are the different barrels producers chosen? Certainly the very long experience and expertise of oenologist and cellarers have a very important role in the selection, but there are also real and proper tests that are performed to help in the choice: for example the Sangiovese coming from a precise parcel is divided into different woods and aged.

The taste of the resulting wine will give indications on the road to take and to show how the barrel affects the wine: if that result is the desired one or if it is to prefer the evolution given by the barrique of another producer, and to give indications on how to use the different woods on different wines based on the result in refinement.

Click to enlarge